Officers and Professional Advisers
Shine is governed by a Board of Directors elected by the membership. The Board operates to Shine’s Memorandum and Articles of Association and Strategic Plan and meets bi-monthly. The following is a list of Board members and Officers as of 31st December 2016:
- Kevin Jones (Chairperson)
- Karen Cobbe
- Brian Miles (Secretary)
- Kevin Roantree (Treasurer)
- Martin Melvin
- Joan Higgins
The role of the Board of Directors of Shine
Matters reserved for the Board
- To define the vision and strategic direction of the organisation.
- To ensure good governance of the organisation
- To define the central mechanisms of the organisation to safeguard reserves
- To maintain overall management of the organisation.
Specific functions of the Board include:
- Adoption of the strategic plan and budgets.
- Approval of significant acquisitions and disposals of assets.
- Approval of significant borrowings of the organisation.
- Approval of the annual report.
- Approval of annual audited financial statements.
- Appointment of audit committee.
- Appointment of governance committee.
- Appointment of any other committee as agreed by Board.
- Appointment of the CEO
Sub committees of the Board:
Audit Sub Committee Terms of Reference
To review on a quarterly basis the operating accounts for Shine to include income and expenditure accounts, provisional balance sheet and cash flow analysis.
- To review and advise on all operating accounts for previous year prior to preparation for external audit.
- To advise the executive management on internal financial control and accounting practice.
- To advise on the prepared external audited accounts proper to submission to the council for final sign off.
- To advise on the prepared accounts for publication in the annual report for Shine.
- To provide as requested, reports to the Board of Shine
- To liaise with external auditors following completion of their annual audit.
Governance sub committee: The governance sub committee provides assistance to the Board in fulfilling its responsibility to Shine to provide good corporate governance.
Terms of reference for governance sub committee:
- Ensure that there is in place, a set of corporate governance principals, policies and standards.
- Ensure that current governance practices are adequate and based on best practice.
- Ensure that all governance procedures comply with law and public policy.
- Ensure that Shine governance procedures are externally reviewed.
- Recommend to the Board for adoption, any new governance principles, policies and standards as may be required from time to time.
- Consider and make recommendations for changes to the governance principles, policies, standards and practices.
- Consider any incidences of a breach of good governance and make recommendations on the resolution of same.
Shine complies with The Governance Code for the Community, Voluntary and Charitable Sector in Ireland.
External Auditors: Deloitte Chartered Accountants, Deloitte & Touche House, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2